Sunday, August 12, 2018

Talk Moves - Math Inquiry

As part of my professional development programme over the next two terms, I would like to focus on fostering a rich problem based maths programme, using the information that Honor has been working on, problem solving and talk moves.

Since the start of term 3 I have been focusing on getting students into their group work using the problem solving approach and then using the 'Talk Moves approach' to motivate and encourage discussion about the various strategies that were used.
It is again proving to be an excellent way to expose children to new more efficient strategies to solve problems from their peers and for others to learn to discuss in mathematical language how they use their strategies.
Students seemed to struggle when in the mixed ability groups over the first two weeks. As a result I have tried moving back to leveled groups in the hope that I can build their confidence in the language, questioning and overall experience in unpacking and solving problems. The talk moves approach I am hoping can then be transferred to  real life situations as well.
 I  am thinking at this point trying the mixed again later in the term. 
My ALIM focus group of children have made great progress with solving problems in multiple ways. Continued support will see them moving along nicely.

I need to still work on giving that Wait time, and letting all children have success before moving on, even if that means extending the problem time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for your comment, I will post after viewing.